375g butter or salt reduced monounsaturated margarine
185g gluten free icing sugar, sifted
½ tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp whisky or substitute with Vanilla Extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
2. Prepare 2 flat oven trays by spraying with cooking spray. Line base of trays with baking paper.
3. Cream butter, icing sugar, vanilla, honey and whisky.
4. Sift flour and add to creamed mixture and mix well.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured (gluten free) board and knead lightly. Divide dough in half. Wrap one half dough securely in plastic to prevent drying out.
6. Roll half the dough to approx. 0.5cm (¼'') thickness.
7. Using a star shaped cutter dipped in flour, cut out stars.
8. Carefully lift stars onto prepared tray.
9. Roll out remaining dough and cut out stars. Place onto prepared tray.
10. Place into a moderately slow oven.
11. Bake for approx. 20 minutes or until cooked. Take care not to overcook.
12. When cooked, remove from oven and leave on trays for 2 minutes.
13. When cold, store shortbread in an airtight container.