Dairy Free Ice Cream
Great tasting dairy-free ice cream is incredibly hard to find. Thankfully, with this recipe (and an ice cream maker) you have have delicious, fresh ice cream any time you want!
You will need an ice cream maker to make this recipe. I use a model with a bowl that you keep in the freezer - ready to make ice cream when I am.
- 9 tablespoons powdered DariFree Original OR use Chocolate DariFree to make chocolate ice cream
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch OR arrowroot starch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine OR ghee (clarified butter) OR healthy vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- (optional) Enjoy Life Mini Choc Chips or Fresh Blueberries
- Prep time is the actual time it takes to make the mix but does not include the time it takes to freeze it which can range from several hours to overnight. Make sure to chill the ice cream maker base thoroughly before using it (I recommend overnight).
- Place DariFree powder, gluten-free starch and sugar in a heavy saucepan and whisk ingredients to combine.
- Add water, whisk and cook over medium-high heat until the mixture begins to bubble. Stir constantly to prevent clumping and burning.
- When the mixture is bubbling add the margarine or oil and vanilla. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Remove from heat and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Pour into the base in your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions.
Yield: About 1 Litre