Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns
- 3¼ cups gluten free flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2½ teaspoons yeast
- 2½ teaspoons Nature First Guar Gum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon each: ginger, cardamom, nutmeg
- 1½ cups DariFree Milk Substitute or rice milk
- 3 eggs or Love Cake Egg Substitute
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Mini Choc Chips to fold into batter.
- 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon water
- Egg wash (Mix 1 large egg with 1 tablespoon milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons DariFree Milk Substitute or rice milk.
- Combine all dry ingredients (except optional fruit or chocolate chips)
- Combine wet ingredients and then add to the mixed dry ingredients. Fold in your chocolate chips (if so desired).
- After mixing dough thoroughly, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast in 1 tablespoon of water. Stir this into the dough.
- Grease two 8"x8" pans and place 9 balls of the dough into each pan.
- Smooth out the tops of the buns and brush with the egg wash. With a sharp knife, slice a shallow cross (+) in the top of each roll. After you're satisfied with the shape & look of your buns, let them stand in a warm room (or 100 degree oven) for about 10-15 minutes.
- Now bake the buns in a 180c oven for 25-30 minutes. Place the baking pan in the center of the preheated oven and bake, rotating once during baking, until the buns are golden brown and firm to the touch. Allow the buns to cool for about 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the buns are cooling, mix together confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and milk. Stir with a fork until lumps are gone and icing is smooth. Use a spatula to scrape the icing into a plastic sandwich bag. This makes piping the icing on the buns easier but you can also drizzle the icing on with a small spoon if you like. Once the rolls have cooled pipe a cross neatly over the cross you made with a knife, on each roll. If you attempt to ice the cross before the rolls are completely cool, the icing will melt and run.
Source: Udi's Gluten Free